Alleged Hacking Of DSTV, GoTV: Good Use Of PR

Some Nigerians on social media have been making claims that systems belonging to Multichoice PayTV platforms, DStv and GOtv, were hacked on Sunday October 18.

Many on Twitter claimed that some hackers who simply identified themselves as ‘Anonymous’ were behind it.

‘Anonymous’ became popular on Twitter recently, claiming responsibility for the hack of the social media accounts and websites of some government agencies as part of its support for the #EndSARS protests in Nigeria.

TheCable had earlier reported how the group had hacked the Twitter account of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) as well as the website of the Nigeria Police Force..

Before now, the number of DStv and GOtv channels accessible to users is determined by the package one is subscribed to.

However, all channels available on the platforms were available to customers irrespective of their subscription status or bouquet.

As a followup to this DSTV trended massively on twitter with mixed reactions.

When contacted on Sunday, DStv told TheCable that the development is due to an “upgrade in its billing, payment and self-service platforms”.

“Dear customer, please be informed that we are currently carrying out an upgrade or our systems, hence our billing, payment and self-service platforms are all unavailable at the moment,” it said.

“Regular business operations would resume tomorrow, October 19, 2020. Thank you for choosing DStv.”

Checks on DStv’s website also revealed that there was a notification informing users that its systems would be subjected to an upgrade between 11pm on October 17 to 4pm on October 19.

Over and above, it was a win-win for DSTV as it was a subtle use of good public relations.

Ndigbo To The World: Okonjo-Iweala On Final Shortlist For WTO DG

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former minister of finance, says she is yet to be declared director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

The final shortlist for the office of the WTO DG was released by the trade body on Thursday.

Okonjo-Iweala and Yoo Myung-hee, former South Korean minister of trade, are the two final candidates for the top position in WTO.

Whoever emerges between the duo will become the first female WTO DG since the organisation was set up 25 years ago.

Following the announcement of Okonjo-Iweala as a final contestant for the role, information has been spreading on several platforms across social media that she has been declared winner.

But in a statement, Paul Nwabuikwu, Okonjo-Iweala’s media adviser, said the ex-minister has not been declared winner.

Nwabuikwu said the race is ongoing, adding that a winner will be announced in two to three weeks.

“The race for the WTO director-general is still very much on. Contrary to inaccurate information released online by an unidentified source, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is yet to be declared winner,” The statement reads.

“As announced by WTO, the former managing director of the World Bank and South Korea’s Yoo Myung-hee are the final two contestants left in the race.

“The winner should be announced in two to three weeks. That remains the correct position.

“Dr Okonjo-Iweala is appreciative and energised by the enthusiastic support of Nigerians. And she is urging all to keep praying until the final whistle.”